Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

So I'm going to kinda cheat and combine September and October into one post because mostly for the past two months I have been working on correcting and fine tuning some gaps in our training.

I love going to shows, because not only is it a competition (and let's face it, I'm a little lot competitive), but I feel like it sharpens me - I notice things that I overlook at home and then I can work on them and progress.

So here are the things that I learned this show season:

  • I let Otter meander around through transitions at home, and then at shows when I am trying to ask at or between a certain letter and I want a crisp transition, of course I'm not going to get it.  So then asking for it stronger at the next transition won't make it better, just makes him reactive because he's not use to me being so insistent on a sharp transition.
    • Since I realized this, I immediately stopped letting him take several strides for upward transitions and as a result, they were much better during at our last few shows, and way better at home.
  • I need to ride with my leg on more - like way more.  I got so used to Otter being so forward that I started trying to ride with my leg off and I guess rotating/ pinching on my knees some, so when I try to put leg on, he's not used to it and is overly sensitive to it -again this kinda goes back to why our transitions are so blehy.
    • It's a work in progress.  It's definitely work trying to convince my muscles and body to stay that way, but it is getting better.
  • Otter is a total cheater and is lazy (despite his bursts of energy at times).  The moment I allow it, he'll get on his forehand and heavy in the bridle.  
    • I've really been trying to push for him to move forward and keeping his hindquarters under him and active, while staying light in the bridle.  I have also been using this time of correcting my position to reinforce correct bend with him - it helps me make sure my legs are on if I am asking him to bend around them.  So we have been doing lots of circles and changing of direction asking him to be on the outside rein and bending around the inside leg.
  • Relaxation
    • For both of us.  I need to relax my upper body (shoulders specifically), and Otter needs to not brace then relax when I half-halt.  It's getting better
  • I lean way to forward with my upper body - When I'm not using my legs correctly, I lean forward to compensate for the position, and then Otter takes advantage of it and uses it to lean against me and get heavy, which makes me more forward.  It's a vicious circle.
    • Since I am getting better about keeping my legs on, my base of support has gotten better and so my upper body is better stabilized where it should be.  They aren't often yet, but when everything clicks with my position and Otter using his hindquarters and having correct bend, he feels amazing!
  • I need to get him forward for stadium.  If I think he is forward, it usually still isn't forward enough.
    • Better at home usually, still wasn't great at the last few shows
  • Take off distance jumping
    • Both Otter and I like the deep distances, and we need to get over that and have more flexibility instead of holding for a deep distance if neither of us sees one.  Some days are better than others on this.  
I think that's about it.  I'm sure there are a million of other little things, but that's for me to figure out next show season.  


Speaking of next show season, it's about to start for us because as of the end of next week, Otter and I will officially be southerners.  Otter got clipped (mostly- still need to finish up his head and fix a couple of lines) this week since he is scheduled to be picked up middle of the week and I am hoping to start the drive right after he leaves.  I'm hoping to go to a local schooling show in December, then start horse trials at the end of January with hopes to qualify and compete at AECs in 2015.

Big changes.  I'm definitely a little nervous, and very sad to be leaving my current barn, but super excited for this next year.

2 comments: