Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Time to travel

I went out to the barn yesterday to get Otter's stuff packed up for his big move and got a quick ride in.  As much as I wanted to play over some of the new jumps my barn put up this weekend, I didn't want to get him too tired or sore before his big trip, so we stuck to a quick flat workout.  He felt really good - soft and supple, and really wanting to use his hindquarters.  We practiced some trot lengthenings since he felt so good, and while he didn't quite get them completely, he is starting to get the idea of them.  I let him off with that, got off to loosened his girth and noseband then sat with him and let him cuddle with me while I talked to my friend while she rode.  We sat like that for a while, it was nice to have the time before I sent him on the trip - he is such a love bug.

The shipper came at 7am this morning to pick Otter up.  He should have a nice trip, just him and one other horse on the big trailer, so they both have huge box stalls.  It was definitely sad taking him away from his pasture mates (one of which loves him) and sadder still saying bye to my barn owner.  I may have even cried a bit on my way home.  I'm a bit of a sap anyways, but I have loved this barn, and the other boarders there.  We are definitely planning on staying in touch, but it isn't the same as seeing them 5-6 days a week.

Otter is scheduled to arrive at his new barn in Louisiana tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon or early evening, and I plan on starting my drive (with my dog) tomorrow as soon as I get off from work.  I should get there sometime Thursday afternoon.  

1 comment: