Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Oh the humidity!

One of the things that I definitely underestimated when I moved down here was the effect the humidity would have on everything.  I knew it would be bad, just not quite the extent of it, I guess.  This spring had been absolutely gorgeous until one day I woke up and it was a hot muggy mess.  I thought I would share some words of wisdom that I have learned the hard way down here.
1      1.  If you wait till you see signs of the funk (see example below - Although it is now gone, just need to wait for the hair to regrow) to start treating it, you have entered into a losing battle that will take you most of the next month and almost daily baths with treated shampoo to get rid of.  I have been told that it is normal for horses to get it this bad their first summer here, and next year won’t be as bad.  Thankfully it is almost completely gone now, and just need the hair to grow back.
2.       Tack must be cleaned after every ride – no exception.  If you even wait one day, it will start to get fuzzy.  Even if you clean it with certain products (I have always been a fan of Effol, but sadly it doesn’t perform under the conditions here), it’ll still start to get fuzzy.  It’s gross.  I started to use Higher Standards  leather cleaner and it has been amazing.  Cleaned my jump tack with it one day and a week later – still no fuzz.  My bridles are soft and supple.  It smells great.  Seriously can’t say enough good stuff about it.
This is what happens when tack is left alone down here.  Note - this has not been cleaned yet with Higher Standards soap.  I will do a before and after post  of it soon.

3.       Saddle pads.  Two ride maximum.  Most only get a single ride before they get washed.  They just don’t dry down here.  It’s gross and don’t even think about stopping somewhere on the ride home from the barn with one in your car.  Made that mistake once. 
 I’m sure that I will be adding to this list as it gets hotter and even more humid.   If any of my readers have any advice to help Otter and I through our first summer down in the bayou, we would really appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment