Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday jump school

This morning I really didn't feel like dragging myself out to the barn before I had to be in at work at 1pm, but I put my big girl breeches on, poured myself a cup of coffee and headed out to the barn.  Once I got going, I was fine and glad that I was going out there.  Got to the barn and was glad to see that the hives were gone.  Not sure what caused them in the first place.  We tacked up and headed out to the jump ring for a quick school.

Otter warmed up like a champ.  He has been feeling so good recently - about 2 months ago I started him on a regular Adequan schedule, and I have really been noticing the difference in how he moves and uses himself.  Mindful of how I pushed our limits with the heat and humidity last Thursday, I kept our warm up fairly short, with lots of circles and bending to get him moving.

After a walk break, I started jumping the big crossrail back and forth a few times at the trot before moving into the canter.  I had decided that after pushing ourselves too hard last time, I just was going to keep our jump session easy and short this time.  After 10 to 15 jumps, I called it a day.  We had one or two chips, but he didn't overreact and stayed balanced afterwards, for the most part though we had good distances.

I did notice a few things though - while I am so much better at looking up and straight ahead on the flat, while jumping, especially during the turns, I'm still looking down and to the inside of the corner.  I need to also regulate our canter more in between jumps.  I counted strides today and it was a bit wonky.

Otter decided picture time was over for today
The short school worked much better for both of us and we were able to end on a good note.  Have lessons this weekend which I am really excited for- seems like it's been forever since I've seen my trainer because of our schedules conflicting.




1 comment:

  1. short and sweet rides are the best sometimes, esp when it's hot haha. hope you have a good lesson!

    ReplyDelete