Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Back in the swing of things

I was able to get out to the barn again on Thursday to ride.  Otter’s leg looked much better than it had on Tuesday, which I was relieved about.  I ended up grooming and tacking up in his stall because of the camp kids getting ready and running around the rest of the barn.  I then headed outside to get away from the crowd in the indoor.
I’m really glad that I stuck around and watched some of the lessons on Tuesday, because it reminded me what some of my positional issues are when riding, and how I *should* be riding and how Otter needs to be responsible for himself at times.   Our last couple of dressage rides have been okay – but definitely not what they should be.  I went into this ride wanting to get a 100% out of me and Otter, and not end it feeling like we just weren’t connecting as in our past few rides. 
So with that in mind, from the beginning, I asked him to be more supple (without playing with my hands too much – using more of my seat and legs to ask him to bend his body) and more forward.  He resisted a bit in the beginning, but then relaxed into a nice walk.  We did the same at the trot and canter.  In the end, we had a much better ride than we have had – He was forward and bendy.  Could have been a bit more relaxed, but maybe next time. 
Cooled him out, cleaned my tack and hung out with the campers for a bit before I had to leave to get my hair cut.  I loved my long hair, but it is way too hot and humid to be dealing with all of that down here.  So now I have a short-ish do. 
Had to work all this weekend, but I’ll be back out at the barn again tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. first of all - congrats on your wedding! sounds like lots of fun stuff happening :D

    also - just an fyi, the feeds for your blog stopped updating around May so i never got notifications on recent posts - tho i just updated them and they're working now. not sure if something changed but other readers might have the same problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had wondered if something was going on, since the past few posts didn't have any views (not that I really have much in the way of viewership anyways), but couldn't see anything wrong on my end.

      Delete