Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Cautiously optimistic

Otter seems to be doing pretty well with his mister fan.  He was a lot cooler when I went out today, and when I took him out of his stall, I think I felt a little bit of sweat starting on his neck and chest.  Baby steps, ya’ll!  I gave him a bath and let him chill in front of the big fan again, then put him back in his stall, since I had to head home to get to work on time. 
 I’m definitely excited, but yet cautious, to think that he might be regaining his normal sweating capabilities again.  Hopefully just being in the cooler air is what he needs.  Still going to continue with our riding ban for a while until it looks like he can handle the weather again.  I would like to see him be okay without the mister before putting the extra stress on his body. 
 One of the other boarders has invited me to ride her second horse, R, while Otter is sidelined.  I’m excited to ride another horse, because I know Otter and I have a sort of codependency thing going on with our various faults, and I’m hoping that riding a different horse will help me correct some of my bad habits.  I’m also glad that at least one of us will still be in shape when Otter is able to be worked again.
 Since I know that ya’ll will get bored reading (and I’ll get bored writing) the repetitiveness of “I went to the barn, bathed Otter, he chilled in front of the fan, then I headed home” that is sure to happen over the next few weeks, I’ve decided to start a series entitled “Horses of Christmas Past” where I will introduce ya’ll to the significant horses that have been in my life.  Part 1 will debut sometime this weekend… So stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. ooh excited to read about other horses! (tho really it'd be very exciting if otter started sweating again like a good horsey lol)

    ReplyDelete