Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

Not quite A/C, but close

I went out to the barn this afternoon to give Otter another bath and let him chill in front of the big fan for a while, and when I got there, the barn owner said she wanted to try putting a fan mister in front of his window.  The mister was bought by another boarder for her horse when he was having some issues earlier in the summer due to some meds he was on, but since he is off of them now he has been fine with the heat.  Since Otter is still struggling so much, the other boarder approached the BO and said that Otter could use the mister instead.  So I helped the boarder set it up in front of his stall and it is amazing the difference it makes - easily cools down his stall by 10-20 degrees.

I let him get used to that for a while, then turned it off and gave him the bath I had planned on and let him sit in front of the big fan.  When I returned him to his stall, his skin was nice and cool.  I turned the mister back on in hopes to keep his body temp down during the afternoon.

I definitely hope this keeps him cool enough that his body can de-stress and he can start sweating again.

2 comments:

  1. what a strange situation. glad the mister is helping - very generous of the boarder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is very generous of her! It's part of why I love my barn - everyone helps each other out, and is genuinely concerned and pays attention to each other's horses.

      Delete